Sunday, November 9, 2014

Cinnamon Babka


 I have to admit my cinnamon babka didn't turn out as I expected.
I was hoping to have some pumpkin flavour in the dough but I obviously didn't use enough pumpkin there. And I made one obvious mistake - I overlooked the cinnamon and used 2T in the filling instead of 2tsp which overpowered it. I still liked it, but it would be so much better with the intended amount. I will make this again with some extra adjustments (adding orange zest to the filling). The recipe is adapted from here http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/bread/sweet-bread/cinnamon-babka.html

Cinnamon Babka
makes two loafs

Dough
1/2 cup warm milk
3 T pumpkin puree (optional)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast 
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
7 Tbsp melted butter 2 cups all-purpose flour (add more if needed)

Filling 
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp melted butter (unsalted)
1 large egg white, reserve yolk for brushing
2 tsp cinnamon 
1/8 tsp salt 
4-5 T chopped walnuts 

  1.  Proof the yeast in half the milk and a little sugar for 5 minutes.
  2. Stir all other wet dough ingredients and slowly add flour.
  3. Knead the though using a mixer if you have one, adding more flour if the dough is still wet.
  4. Let rest until it doubles in size.
  5. Mix the filling in a bowl.
  6. Grease 2 loaf pans (I used a single glass 8x8 square pan to hold both).
  7. Divide the dough in 2 equal pieces.
  8. Roll it as thin as possible in a rectangle shape.
  9. Spread half the filling over the dough and start rolling on both side.
  10. Repeat with the other one and place in the pan.
  11. Let the loaves double in size (I let them stay in the fridge overnight)
  12. Just before baking brush with reserved yolk and sprinkle a little sugar/cinnamon on top.
  13. Bake at 375F for about 35-45 minutes until golden brown.
  14. Let cool before slicing.



No comments:

Post a Comment