I love pumpkin and squash in general. I like how its sweetness contrasts with the spiciness of the black pepper. The garlicky kales really elevates it. The recipe is adapted from one I found on Epicurious website: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Farro-with-Acorn-Squash-and-Kale-367135
I actually ate it for dinner, and the leftovers were still good reheated the next day.
Acorn Squash Barley Salad with Kale
makes two generous servings
1 small acorn squash
1 T butter
1 cup boiled pearl barley
2/3 bunch kale, leaves thorn in small piece (remove the tough centers)
1 T olive oil
4 T chopped onion
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 tsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- Reheat the oven to 375F
- Peel the squash and dice in 1/2 inch cubes.
- Toss with the melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 35 minutes or until fork tender and slightly caramelized around the edges. Stir midway through baking if needed.
- While the squash cools heat the olive oil and saute the onion for a couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Quickly saute the kale stirring frequently. It would take another couple of minutes at most.
- Season the kale with salt.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Add vinegar (or lemon juice) and season with additional salt or olive oil if needed.