I adapted a recipe I found on Epicurious. I will certainly keep this one handy because it was really easy, quick and the result is delicious! Next time I think I will double the amount and use one whole egg. A small amount of chopped walnuts or other nuts would be a nice addition giving a bit of a crunch.
Ginger Molasses Cupcakes
makes 15 mini cupcakes
3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 T butter, softened
3 T sugar
4 T robust molasses
4 T boiling water
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg yolk, with a small amount of the egg white
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl mix the flour with the spices (ginger and cinnamon).
- Beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy, set aside.
- Pour the hot water over the molasses and stir. Quickly add the baking powder and stir. It should bubble.
- Mix in the molasses mixture and flour to the butter in small additions, mixing well after each one.
- Finally mix in the egg yolk.
- Pour equally in 15 mini cupcake cups. It should be close to the brim.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Enjoy!