I like to cook soups once in a while. There is something really comforting in a warm bowl of soup on a winter day. This is probably the best broccoli soup I have made so far and I think DH agrees. :)
Cream of Broccoli Soup
makes 3 bowls
1 1/2 T butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
3 cups chicken stock (quail or duck would work well)
1/3 cup white wine
1 lb. frozen broccoli florets
1/3 cup boiled potato, cubed
1/3 cup milk
1-2 T potato starch (or corn starch)
a little nutmeg
freshly made croutons
- Melt the butter and saute the onions and garlic for 5 minutes or until soft but not brown.
- Add the stock and wine; bring to boil.
- Stir in the broccoli and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped potato and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the cold milk mixed with the starch and continue to cook for a minute or two so it tickens.
- Reserve some of the broccoli frorets and blend the rest. It should have nice creamy consistency.
- Season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg.
- Ladle in bowls and top with croutons and the reserved broccoli. Enjoy!