Sunday, July 31, 2016

Marbled Mocha Pound Cake


I like coffee although I'm not a regular coffee drinker. And when I make myself a good cup of coffee I may have a hard time finishing it. Really?! - you ask. I know..

So here I was with leftover coffee and a craving for pound cake. A little Google search and I came up with the following recipe the following day. Special thanks to my mother in law who inspired me to use coffee grounds in a cake (I remember she made a similar cake 10 years ago..)

This cake was so good fresh out of the oven I almost ate half of it! Those that know me won't be surprised at all.

Marbled Mocha Pound Cake
Makes one small cake.  Adapted from here.

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup + 1 T yogurt, divided
1/2 tsp baking soda

2 large eggs
1/2 cup + 1 T sugar, divided
1/4 cup oil
1-2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp cocoa

1 T used coffee grounds
1 T strong coffee, cold
  1. Heat the oven to 425 F
  2. In a small bowl mix the flour and baking powder
  3. Beat the eggs with the 1/2 cup sugar and lemon zest
  4. Slowly beat in the oil
  5. Stir 1/2 cup yogurt with the baking soda and wait for a few seconds to proof
  6. Add the yogurt mixture to the egg one and stir well
  7. Carefully stir in the flour
  8. Divide the batter in two (you can use the small bowl from the flour)
  9. To one side stir in the extra yogurt, to the other stir in the cold coffee, cocoa, coffee grounds, and extra T sugar.
  10. Butter and flour the pan (I used Pyrex loaf pan as you can see)
  11. Layer the yellow mixture first and top with the dark one. Feel free to layer it in smaller portions for better marbled effect
  12. Bake for 30 mins (lower the oven temp to 380 after the first 10 mins)
  13. Make sure to check with a toothpick (mine was ready at this time)
  14. Enjoy with a glass of milk, coffee or yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment