I made these for a dinner party themed "Nuts about Nuts". I loved eating walnut cookies as a kid so this is the first thing that came to my mind. I like my cookies a touch less sweet and not as dry. These are somewhat fragile and sticky. The cookies on the picture are the last two left. They will probably not survive another day! Next time I can try making sandwich cookies with these, probably with light chocolate whipped cream...
Walnut Meringue Cookies
makes over a dozen cookies
about 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 egg whites
4 or 5 T granulated sugar
1 1/2 T honey (optional)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Beat the egg whites until they start to foam, doubling their volume.
- Continue beating the egg whites by gradually adding the sugar - tablespoon at a time. You can taste to make sure the meringue is sweet enough. You are shooting for stiff peaks.
- Carefully stir in the honey, then the nuts.
- Place about a tablespoon at a time on a silicon mat, or aluminium foil (no grease)
- Bake at low oven (170 F or below) for about an hour or two, checking on them every 15 minutes. I even turned the oven a couple of times during the cooking. When done the centre of the cookie won't be feel soft to the touch. If you prefer your cookies drier, just bake them longer. Enjoy!